[clug] Hard disk destruction

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Wed Jul 1 00:14:00 GMT 2009

On 30/06/2009, at 22:35 , Mike Carden wrote:

> I *really* can't be bothered reading enough of this again to find the
> bit about destroying media, but here is the unclassified version[0] of
> the Commonwealth Protective Security Manual:

That's the manual regarding the protection of information which is
sensitive to the defence or economic wellbeing of the nation, and is
intended to protect us from recovery techniques that are better than
the best thing we know about today.

My vote is for the wet sandpaper method to remove the magnetic media
from the substrate. Wet sandpaper because you don't want particles of
that stuff in your lungs or skin. I'm pretty sure that the stuff hard
drives are made of is not stuff you want inside a human body.

The thermite method seems much more fun though, if a little harder to
implement.

Alex