[clug] Code "rework/rewrite" tools.

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 05:10:34 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke said:
=>> Can you not objdump the binary, then run the code using qemu, extract a
=>> trace then script up the output to match lines in the objdump to lines in
=>> the trace so you can see what never gets executed and go from there?
=>> Bonus points for generating a heat map of the code.
=>> How about valgrind?
=>
=>Interesting idea... :)  Now you have me half convinced to waste a few
=>hours tonight..  Still I don't think this could ever highlight
=>templated code or am I missing the boat with objdump?  I am guessing
=>that what you would get would be a whole heap of mangled function
=>names which are then difficult to map back to the source.  It would
=>work with C (I think).

The objdump flag -C|--demangle [=style]
might be what you want there.
The -S|--Source flag tends to map back to source ok.

--
The fortune which nobody sees makes a person happy and unenvied.
	--Francis Bacon