[clug] how do I mount 2 dirs into one?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sun Jan 18 08:28:58 GMT 2009

Tomasz Ciolek <tmc at vandradlabs.com.au> wrote:
> you could so someting like this:
>
> 1. create a hierachy called /bar/data
> 2. mount your directories as /bar/data/foo1 and /bar/data/foo2
> 3, export /bar/data as the data source via CIFS/NFS whathaveyou

If you export /bar/data over NFS, some servers won't show filesystems
mounted in subdirectories. So on the server, /bar/data will have foo1
and foo2 directories with stuff in them, but on the client /bar/data
will be empty (or maybe it'll have empty foo1 and foo2 directories, I
can't remember). Solaris is one system that will not export more than
one filesystem on a mount point, but Linux will happily.

I think Solaris' behaviour is strictly within the NFS spec and Linux
is either violating the spec in some small way or taking advantage of an
abiguity. If I'm remembering things correctly, the Linux way has a very
small but non-zero propbability of corrupting files on a read-write NFS
mount.

If you're using CIFS then none of this matters. :)
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au