[clug] Pop quiz.. (DHCP and servers).

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Jan 14 13:19:36 GMT 2009

jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com> writes:
> Michael James wrote:
>> IMHO there should always be a pool of annonymous IPs.
>> To not have it isn't security, it just encourages IP piracy.
>>
>> In a corporate environment I'd set it up that
>>  the anonymous machines end up on a net
>>  where all they can see is a https page asking them to register.
>> Once someone has authenticated as the machine's sponsor,
>>  it gets another IP that wil let it onto the net.
>
> This is the sort of thing 802.1x was designed to address. yet, it
> doesn't seem to get used to my knowledge.

That would be, as Andrew pointed out earlier, because you get caught up
when something doesn't support 802.1x.  Given that includes common
desktop platforms like Windows, Linux and MacOS, along with most
appliances, you can see where the problems start.

(and, yes, most of them can do 802.1x, but if you have ever tried to get
 them interoperating, or configure it, you might not be so enthusiastic :)

Regards,
        daniel