[clug] Pop quiz.. (DHCP and servers).

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Jan 14 13:14:29 GMT 2009

"Andrew Janke" <a.janke at gmail.com> writes:
>> Yes, because cfengine and Puppet allow you to configure *everything*
>> not just the IP address. What packages are installed? What users are
>> allowed to log in to this machine? Do we allow logins at all?
>>
>> If you're going central management, may as well go the whole hog.
>
> Although in this case it means that I do use DHCP for machines as
> installs are done by FAI PXE booting followed by cfengine management.
> But yes like others, the initial address is gained by DHCP at which
> stage it is set statically.
>
> Mind you I only started thinking about this again due to the current
> "issue" in Ubuntu Intrepid where you can't set a static IP with a
> "desktop" system without it keeping getting reset. Painful until you
> remove network-manager.

I hope you reported that: Network Manager is supposed to ignore any
interface that has a definition in /etc/network/interfaces, and mine
certainly do — the static configuration for the virtual machine networks
is left alone by NM happily.

So, you have clearly found a bug, in that it doesn't ignore that for
you, which needs to be reported upstream. :)

Regards,
        Daniel