[clug] Pop quiz.. (DHCP and servers).

Michael James michael at james.st
Wed Jan 14 05:38:37 GMT 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:38:56 pm Andrew Janke wrote:
> Should you or shouldn't you let your servers/desktops
> get their IP address via DHCP?

DHCP rocks!  It helps implement the aphorism:

	Distribute simplicity, Concentrate complexity.

Allows you to use default configurations on all clients,
 and centralise all the pain of network configuration.
When the network addresses change in bulk it's a godsend.
Except for the DHCP and DNS servers, I would call
 all the servers "network clients" and DHCP them statically.

IMHO there should always be a pool of annonymous IPs.
To not have it isn't security, it just encourages IP piracy.

In a corporate environment I'd set it up that
 the anonymous machines end up on a net
 where all they can see is a https page asking them to register.
Once someone has authenticated as the machine's sponsor,
 it gets another IP that wil let it onto the net.

michaelj

--
There is no perl one line hack
 that a page of java won't do more elegantly.