[clug] Pop quiz.. (DHCP and servers).

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 04:49:06 GMT 2009

> Yes, because cfengine and Puppet allow you to configure *everything* not
> just the IP address. What packages are installed? What users are allowed to
> log in to this machine? Do we allow logins at all?
>
> If you're going central management, may as well go the whole hog.

Although in this case it means that I do use DHCP for machines as
installs are done by FAI PXE booting followed by cfengine management.
But yes like others, the initial address is gained by DHCP at which
stage it is set statically.

Mind you I only started thinking about this again due to the current
"issue" in Ubuntu Intrepid where you can't set a static IP with a
"desktop" system without it keeping getting reset. Painful until you
remove network-manager.