[clug] Pop quiz.. (DHCP and servers).

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 13 22:17:03 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:
> Should you or shouldn't you let your servers/desktops get their IP
> address via DHCP?
>
> As I see it the pros are:
>    * Easier to config and re-install (one less thing to do)
>    * Easier to change IP configs/DNS/ntp/etc.
>
> Cons:
>    * DHCP server becomes a big SPOF unless you use large lease times
>    * A tad more network traffic/noise
>

> In my case given that I use cfengine2 to look after all my servers and
> desktops this is sort of moot but I have always been curious on the
> general consensus for this. If you do I will be interested in your
> comments as to what you set your lease time to.
>

> ta

Static (non-DHCP) IPs for all servers (usually use DHCP for virtual
servers - with fixed IPs).

Most of our desktops kill the dhclient process after they have a
(fixed) IP address. Saves a DHCP server death from de-configuring
network interfaces... (been hit by that a couple of times over the
years).

Most of our DHCP servers get their (fixed) IP addresses from LDAP
backends - easy to add/change IPs without restarting the DHCP server
process all the time...

Bob Edwards.