[clug] Pop quiz.. (DHCP and servers).

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:38:56 GMT 2009

Should you or shouldn't you let your servers/desktops get their IP
address via DHCP?

As I see it the pros are:
   * Easier to config and re-install (one less thing to do)
   * Easier to change IP configs/DNS/ntp/etc.

Cons:
   * DHCP server becomes a big SPOF unless you use large lease times
   * A tad more network traffic/noise

In my case given that I use cfengine2 to look after all my servers and
desktops this is sort of moot but I have always been curious on the
general consensus for this. If you do I will be interested in your
comments as to what you set your lease time to.

ta