[clug] Re: Anyone got a 320GB Barracuda (linux Digest, Vol 73, Issue 19, Message 9)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 04:33:53 GMT 2009

Bob,

On 12/01/2009, at 11:46 AM, linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:45:32 +1100
> From: Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au>
> If anyone has such a drive (model ST3320620A) that I could experiment
> with, I would be most grateful. I can backup all your data to a 500GB
> external USB drive and you get to keep that drive if I stuff up yours!

	Unless one of the other offers has panned-out...
	I have three in a RAID array I'm planning on retiring "when I can
get around to it":

---8<---
root at server:~# smartctl -i /dev/sdb
smartctl version 5.37 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
Device Model:     ST3320620A
--->8---

	I'm in Sydney now and likely back in Canberra this weekend, but
there's a chain of things that have to happen first:
	* I've got to get a new 1TB drive for box "A"
	* Migrate data in box "A" to new disk & swap
	* Migrate RAID data in box "B" to box "A"'s old drive
	* Do a superficial wipe of one of the Seagate disks.

	It's not a guarantee I can get all or even some of these things done
before the weekend's out, but whenever it happens, you can have one
of the old drives to fiddle with.

M0les.