[clug] Getting a Slmodem to work on M912x tablet PC

Denise Bates dbates at fwi.net.au
Tue Jan 13 03:03:36 GMT 2009

Hello folks,

I am having great difficulty in getting an external Netcomm Rave11 USB
modem to work on a friend's Gigabyte M912x tablet PC. I seem to have
licked all the other problems with the Slackware12.2 installation, but
the modem has me stumped.

The modem works "out of the box" with Puppy Linux 4.1.2 on this machine
as /dev/ttySL0: No other distro that I tried does this, even with
extensive fiddling. It seems to need /dev/slusb and it doesn't appear in
any other distro that I have tried and none of the three types of driver
installations seems to create /dev/slusb.

Driver installation method #1.  I downloaded several versions of RPMs
from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/ and "installed"
them, both as RPMs and by converting them using rpm2tgz to do a "proper"
Slackware install. No /dev/slusb appears. Modem is not recognised on
reboot. Typing "slmodemd" produces a message that /dev/slamr can't be
found (this appears to be for internal winmodems, not USB).

Driver installation method #2. I downloaded drivers, resembling "source"
files and tried to install them (make clean, make, make install). Modem
still not recognised: result as above. I searched through the makefiles
and replaced every occurance of "slamr" with "slusb". Same result.

Driver installation method #3.  I manually copied "slmodemd" into
/usr/local/sbin and added a few lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
/usr/local/sbin/slmodemd -c AUSTRALIA --/dev/slusb
ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem
chgrp users /dev/modem

Still no luck!

I suspect that the solution is quite straightforward, as the modem works
so well in Puppy, but I just can't see it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Denise Bates <dbates at fwi.net.au>
PO Box 516