[clug] Anyone got a 320GB Barracuda?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 12 00:45:32 GMT 2009

Hi all (and a Happy New Year!!! - Yay!)

So, came back from hols to find that my 320GB Seagate Barracuda
(7200rpm) IDE disk in my (home) database server had bought the big
one. Of course, I hadn't backed up _everything_ on it for a few
weeks and now would like to recover what I can.

Looks like an electronics problem (the disk rotates in short "steps"
as if one or more of the phases of the spindle motor are not getting
energized properly).

So, I would like to try attaching a known good disk controller to it
to see if that works long enough to recover some data from it.

If anyone has such a drive (model ST3320620A) that I could experiment
with, I would be most grateful. I can backup all your data to a 500GB
external USB drive and you get to keep that drive if I stuff up yours!

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.