[clug] Who's famous in the 80's and 2000's?

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:02:25 GMT 2009

2009/1/11 steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>

> Today I was trying to think of the 'leading lights' in computing for
> each of the decades its been around.
>
> I struck a blank for the 1980's and post 2000.
>
> Anyone got their favourites or suggestions?
>
> This was my quick hack list :-)
> Any other suggestions happily accepted, but if you mention your criteria
> or the persons' field, that'd be nice.
>
> 1930 - 1950 Turing, von Neuman, ...

Of course, for early computing history, there's my own personal hero, Ada
Lovelace. By your reasoning, she probably would fit into the timeline about
100 years earlier than your first entry (around the 1850's). Since you
haven't mentioned Babbage either, I guess you're not going back that far.
Nevertheless, I see an opportunity to point out The Right Honourable Augusta
Ada, Countess of Lovelace and her wonderful work with Babbage's Difference
Engine, and I grab it with both hands.

Obsessed, much? ;)

<snip>

--
Cheers! Lana

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious, nor will I
consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.
-- Sydney Smith

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.