[clug] Who's famous in the 80's and 2000's?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 06:28:42 GMT 2009

steve jenkin wrote:
> Today I was trying to think of the 'leading lights' in computing for
> each of the decades its been around.
>
> I struck a blank for the 1980's and post 2000.
>
> Anyone got their favourites or suggestions?
>
> This was my quick hack list :-)
> Any other suggestions happily accepted, but if you mention your criteria
> or the persons' field, that'd be nice.
>
> 1930 - 1950 Turing, von Neuman, ...
> 1950 - 1960 Bob Glass, Jerry Weinberg, ...
> 1960 - 1970 Ritchie & Thompson, Codd & Date
> 1970 - 1980 BSD guys, Bill Joy, Gates, Steve Jobs
> 1980 - 1990 ???
> 1990 - 2000 Linus & Tridge
> 2000 - 2010 ???

Richard Stallman - 80s. Whatever you think of his zealotry he's had
something of an impact on computing, arguably more than anyone you've
listed after the 50s?
Sir Timothy Berners-Lee, 1980s - 90s
Larry Wall, 1980s - not so much the language "Perl" itself as the
process of designing, building and deploying an industrial strength free
software language with massive community support that was very widely
used and respected, a path followed by Python, Ruby, Lua, your favourite
Free software language etc. etc.
Bob Kahn, Vint Cerf 1970s
2000 and beyond is harder to tell, it should be pretty straightforward
in about a decade though.
Everyone will have their own list, pick and mix from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Programmers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_scientists
to taste if you need ideas...