[clug] Eeebuntu

Fred Pilcher fpilcher at netspeed.com.au
Mon Jan 5 22:33:45 GMT 2009

Adam Thomas wrote:
> 2009/1/6 jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just bought an Eee PC 1000 HDD with (unfortunately) Windows XP.
>> I want to get rid of Windows and load Ubuntu.  I have downloaded ubuntu
>> 8.10 and created a bootable USB memory stick.  I am now downloading the
>> Eeebuntu 8.10 and will copy it to my USB stick.
>>
>> The problem that I have is setting the BIOS to boot from the USB stick.
>> I can't seem to get that to work.  Any hints to do this while I'm
>> waiting for the Eeebuntu to download?
>
> The wiki at eeeuser.com[0] says holding down ESC during the POST
> sequence gives a boot device selection menu. This worked on my 701 and
> I assume it will be the same for the 1000HD.

I just hit F2 at the appropriate place in the boot sequence to load the
BIOS settings. Make sure that the USB stick's plugged in while you boot
and it'll show up in the boot order list. Make the USB stick the first
boot device.

Adam's solution looks faster though. ;-)

Here are some photos, the last showing the cube rotating.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3817/eee1fs6.jpg

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/8602/eee2mx2.jpg

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/482/eeecubeau3.jpg

Fred