[clug] Eeebuntu

Jim Watson jim at amarooas.com.au
Mon Jan 5 22:27:15 GMT 2009

jhock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just bought an Eee PC 1000 HDD with (unfortunately) Windows XP.
> I want to get rid of Windows and load Ubuntu.  I have downloaded ubuntu
> 8.10 and created a bootable USB memory stick.  I am now downloading the
> Eeebuntu 8.10 and will copy it to my USB stick.

I could never get any of the eee-specific boot methods to work using a
sandisk plugged into usb. But I had no problems booting the standard iso
copied by dd, made it bootable with fdisk and it just worked.
Everything needed for eee seems in 8.10 anyway.

> The problem that I have is setting the BIOS to boot from the USB stick.
> I can't seem to get that to work.  Any hints to do this while I'm
> waiting for the Eeebuntu to download?

you hit ESC when starting, the bios will detect the bootable usb stick
if it is already plugged in to a usb port, then you will be able to select.

jim