[clug] Interesting article

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Jan 5 11:42:58 GMT 2009

Michael Cohen <scudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> People use gmail because its so innovative. For example I can not use
> Lookout or even thunderbird any more because Im too used to the way
> gmail displays conversations as threads, including the email i sent
> interspersed with the messages people sent me in reply.

This message you wrote appeared in a thread in my email client, along
with all the other messages in the thread. That's not innovative.
Outlook (stupid steaming pile) must be the only "modern" email client
left that can't do it.

> (web GUIs are far easier to write and
> more powerful than widget based GUIs like gnome/qt or win32).

Easier to write for simple interfaces. Harder when they try to be
rich apps. Never more powerful as they're deployed on what is
fundamentally a thin (dumb) client with limited capabilities.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au