[clug] Interesting article

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Jan 5 10:11:37 GMT 2009

Michael James wrote:
> Commodity "dial tone" services offer better quality, performance
>  and capability that anything the traditional legacy players can supply,
>  and make in-house provision of these services economically laughable.
> eg: Gmail gives a much better service (on any metric)
>        than the thousands of corporate exchange servers,
>        that are so expensively mismanaged.

Having just gone through a whole bunch of documentation as part of a
student email migration, neither gmail or hotmail (or hotmail as
exchange labs) explicitly guarantee the availability or accessibility of
your email. They generally (from what I could extract with pokers and
teeth pliers) do "backup" by keeping your email in perpetual motion on a
daily basis, so that if they lose the DC you happen to be in, TS, but it
only impacts a small number of people. If you want the ability to
recover email that's been deleted or lost in a system crash, then you
run your email through a (different) company that archives your mail first.

On a side note, I've also had to (at the same time), run a Spam filter
vendor assessment for a client. Once of the vendors insisted that their
product was the best, as

"..a recent study showed our service blocked greater than 99% of email".

I queried this statement, only to be given (in a meeting and I couldn't
take it away with me) the said study, run by a reputable testing lab,
that did, indeed, confirm that their service blocked 99% of email. I
asked if it would be better if their service blocked 99% of Spam, at
which point the meeting ended, and things suddenly rather cold.  I'm
glad I raised the question, and asked to look at the report, as the
meeting I was at was the one where the ITO was going to sign the
contract for a 5 year service..

Steve

--
--==--