[clug] Linux mobo - good and cheap

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Jan 2 00:06:48 GMT 2009

Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au> writes:

[...]

> 3. I would not mind putting in a video card, if it would ensure compatibility
> with Linux AFA video is concerned.  Actually, I did buy on impulse an
> Asus video card EAH3450 in the markets for $50.  Tried to google
> information about it, but did not get anything encouraging and have
> not come around of putting it in a box. The card is not very useful in
> its cardboard box.  :) Any suggestions there, bearing in mind that 3D
> games are of no interest to me?

Plug the card it, and it should work out of the box without drama, using
the open source drivers — both 'nv' and 'radeon' drive the 2D parts of
modern video cards, albeit slowly in some cases...

I am surprised, I confess, that SuSE don't work nicely with the hardware
out of the box, but I guess I have been spoiled by using distributions
that do have solid, and pragmatic, detection and management of modern
hardware.

Regards,
        Daniel