[clug] Linux mobo - good and cheap

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jan 1 06:35:22 GMT 2009

"Chris Smart" <mail at christophersmart.com> writes:
> 2009/1/1 Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au>
>
>> Happy New Year to you'all!  I have the urge (need?) to put together a
>> PC that is Linux friendly, i.e. on which I (an old mug) would be able
>> to install a fancy openSUSE11.x without first facing a not so fancy
>> blank screen with a message "out of range" on my 22" LCD screen (BenQ
>> FP222W).
>>
>> Besides, holding a screw driver in my hands would be a really good
>> new experience for me...
>>
>> I am not looking for anything fancy and would like the video to be on
>> the M/B. Can someone recommend a M/B? Cost is important - the lower,
>> the better.
>
> If going the integrated video route, then beware ATI/AMD as their
> proprietary driver really isn't great (you might get away with the
> open source radeon driver, but you'd need to research first).

The same ATI/AMD who just released the specifications required for full,
open 3D support on their hardware, right?  Yeah, the binary driver will
suck for the next six months — but beyond that they are a much better
choice.

If you don't need 3D today, and want it to perform at the high end
later, they are probably the better choice, but...

> I'd go an Intel box with Intel VGA if possible as they have great
> Linux support. But then these usually cost slightly more. But then
> Intel VGA usually has no DVI.

...the Intel chips are the best choice if you don't care about 3D games,
since they are already open and well supported.  No wait time there.

Just, whatever you do, don't be suckered into buying NVIDIA hardware on
the premise that the binary driver is better today.

Regards,
        Daniel