[clug] Linux mobo - good and cheap

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Thu Jan 1 06:08:01 GMT 2009

2009/1/1 Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au>

> Hi,
>
> Happy New Year to you'all!  I have the urge (need?) to put together a PC
> that
> is Linux friendly, i.e. on which I (an old mug) would be able to install a
> fancy openSUSE11.x without first facing a not so fancy  blank screen with a
> message "out of range" on my 22" LCD screen (BenQ FP222W).
>
> Besides, holding a screw driver in my hands would be a really good new
> experience for me...
>
> I am not looking for anything fancy and would like the video to be on  the
> M/B. Can someone recommend a M/B? Cost is important - the lower, the
> better.

If going the integrated video route, then beware ATI/AMD as their
proprietary driver really isn't great (you might get away with the open
source radeon driver, but you'd need to research first). I'd go an Intel box
with Intel VGA if possible as they have great Linux support. But then these
usually cost slightly more. But then Intel VGA usually has no DVI.

Some integrated sound with Azalia (or something) chipsets can cause issue,
but there are easy work arounds. Having said that, everything should work
out of the box.

-c