[clug] An old debate: Forensics study of cleaning old diskdrives sold on e-bay [SEC=PERSONAL]

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 28 05:54:59 GMT 2009

I spend a lot of time mucking about with free/almost free hardware from garage sales, freecycle giveaways, revolve, trash 'n' treasure etc, and I'd say that 90% have some kind of personal information still on them when I get them.  It's always pretty innocuous information like school reports -- usually it's the creaking old family pc in the corner that's finally being got rid of -- but it's creepy having that temptation to browse through someone else's life.