[clug] Internet banking and browser compatibility

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Tue Feb 17 10:28:42 GMT 2009

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> How do I use Internet banking from my office once I've got an SSL
> certificate for my browser at home?

Aren't X.509 certificates transferrable? I should be able to export the
certificate to a USB key and carry it to work, right? Right?

Since client-side authentication is so rarely used, I've never heard of
this being done and I don't know the answer.

> How do I stop the person who just
> broke into my house from clearing out my bank account before I get home?

That bit's really easy, just lock your keystore with a hard to guess
passphrase.

Note that you're still vulnerable to rubber hose attacks *after* you get
home.

> Note that I wouldn't recommend using Internet banking from the office in
> the first place since so many workplaces these days are installing HTTPS
> proxies that do stupid stuff like generate certificates for the sites
> that you're visiting on the fly, so your browser will happily report that
> the hostname and certificate match.

Does anybody work anywhere that actually does this? I've heard of it as
a theoretical attack, but not even the network nazis where I work do
this.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au