[clug] Internet banking and browser compatibility

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Feb 13 05:53:06 GMT 2009

On 13/02/2009, at 15:29 , Nathan Rickerby wrote:

> I'm considering switching banks.  I'm told that the offerings from
> ANZ,
> Westpac or St George most suit our banking requirements.

By "our" do you mean Linux users, or some other group?

> Can anyone using these banks (or others) comment on the browser
> compatibility and
> usability of their Internet banking facilities.

Service One Member's Banking (previously Credit Union of Canberra, and
before that University Co-op Credit Union) provides plain HTML+minimal
JavaScript interface which although butt-ugly in its latest
incarnation is still quite functional.

I use it through FireFox, Safari and OmniWeb (Safari and OmniWeb are
WebKit browsers), it works just fine in all these browsers.

SOMB uses a randomly permuted numeric keypad layout on the web page,
which you have to then click with the mouse. Not sure that this really
constitutes "two factor" authentication, since the keypad on the
screen is involved in the very environment which is most likely to be
compromised (web page, on a home computer).

Alex