[clug] COTH -- (Another) Command of the hour

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:22:12 GMT 2009

   pidof

ie:

   $ pidof firefox
   119232

I "found" this while writing a quick script that I can call from cron
to start workrave in case I forget to (my home dir is NFS mounted
across a bunch of machines and I run gnome):

   #! /bin/sh

   HOSTNAME=`hostname`

   # exit if on wrong host
   if [ "$HOSTNAME" != "ben" ]
   then
      exit 0
   fi

   # exit if not logged in
   if ! killall -s 0 -u rotor gnome-session > /dev/null 2>&1
   then
      exit 0
   fi

   # check if workrave is going
   if ! pidof workrave > /dev/null
   then
      echo "Starting workrave"
      workrave &
   fi

Note that I _also_ discovered that pidof is apparently the same as
"killall -s 0" which in turn a signal of 0 means "are you able to be
killed" or something like that.

ah, two new things in one day.  My head is full.