[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Mon Feb 9 21:50:04 GMT 2009

May I suggest a Truck Alternator 24V.
You can also get alternator stators rewound.

Uncontrolled (without a properly working regulator) alternators can
produce over a hundred volts so I would suggest a truck alternator with
a regulator modified to control output at 48-52 volts.

A vehicle alternator is a 3 phase alternating current machine with 3
windings on the stator each with a set of 6 big diodes to rectify the
output to a common DC output Bus.  By using a Truck alternator you will
get higher voltage capability diodes which would be more suitable for
the task. As stated earlier any alternator would easily absorb the
energy that a human could produce.

The regulator supplies current to the rotor electromagnet via slip
rings.  The stronger the current in the rotor the higher the Electro
Motive Force (EMF = Voltage) induced in the stator windings. This is why
full voltage on the rotor (due to a regulator fault) can produce
hundreds of volts.  I had a mate who had the problem in his car (battery
lead fell off causing the regulator to loose it's reference [poor
design]) and all the electrical components fried and caught fire as he
was driving along.

Generally the regulator gets its operating voltage from a central star
point in the stator windings which is approximately 1/3 of the output
voltage but you do need a voltage source (battery to get things going in
a nice stable way).

Neil Pickford.