[clug] Exercise and pay the bills! [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Steven Ring smr at southsky.com.au
Mon Feb 9 02:09:25 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Roppola, Antti - BRS
<Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au> wrote:

> Having watched line work on a few occassions, I note that they are very
> hands
> on when it comes to isolating and locking out lines. Due to the
> potential
> safety issues, I couldn't see them being in a hurry to trust automated
> devices.

Rightly so. I did a little investigation last year as to the
effectiveness of anti-aliasing devices. Researchers in this area seem
to rely on statistical analysis techniques to guage the probability of
an anti-islanding device (based on voltage/phase analysis) failing to
disconnect from the grid in the presence of other local PV systems.

Present techniques don't seem to be 100% reliable, nor is there a
standardised solution. So local power authorities are well advised to
disconnect individual PV systems during a maintenance outage.

Steven