[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

Antony Wuth foobie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:58:35 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> btw. does anyone know how the electricity authorities "switch off"
> a segment of their 240V power line (eg. for tree-clearing or other
> maintenance) when there are all these solar-powered power feed-ins
> popping up everywhere and effectively juicing up the line? I have
> always wanted to know how they turn it all off.

Apparently all the feed in inverters are required to not supply
voltage when there isn't voltage present on the supply line. This in
theory prevents your inverter supplying a nice hit of current to the
poor linesman - additionally trying to supply current that is out of
phase with the (much bigger) grid supply is generally a recipe for
your inverter sinking a large amount of current from the grid (usually
in a way that releases the magic smoke)

Antony.
--

Charles M. Schulz  - "I love mankind; it's people I can't stand."