[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

Steven Ring smr at southsky.com.au
Sun Feb 8 23:51:58 GMT 2009

Bob,

The inverters have an "anti-islanding" circuit which compares the
voltage/phase of the mains current with its own inverter (solar or
bicycle powered). If mains voltage disappears or if phase drifts away
from that of the inverter, the invert is shutdown or otherwise
disconnected from the grid.

There is some concern that multiple inverters in the one area might
fool each other into thinking that mains are still present. Some
design measures are taken to avoid that risk (such as a tendency for
the inverter to drift lower than the standard frequency). But I'm
getting out of my depth.

ACTEWAGL seem to take a conservative approach. During a recent
scheduled outage for tree trimming in my backyard they visited each
home with a photovoltaic system and isolated it from the grid.

Steven