[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

David Price david at dmprice.com
Sun Feb 8 23:44:44 GMT 2009

On 09/02/09 10:28, Robert Edwards wrote:
> btw. does anyone know how the electricity authorities "switch off"
> a segment of their 240V power line (eg. for tree-clearing or other
> maintenance) when there are all these solar-powered power feed-ins
> popping up everywhere and effectively juicing up the line? I have
> always wanted to know how they turn it all off.

My understanding is that an inverter designed to feed into the grid must
switch off if the power from the grid stops.  I think that's required by
law.  The inverter is already syncing to the grid's AC waveform, so
turning off would not be a big step.  Unfortunately that means that if
there's a blackout during the day, your solar panels wont provide you
with backup power.