[clug] command of the hour

Carlo Hamalainen carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 12:51:38 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Kim Holburn <kim at holburn.net> wrote:
> I just put in a new hard disk, as you do, and was googling around to find
> out how to work out what device it had ended up as, as you do, and after
> trying cat /proc/partitions which worked well, discovered: lshw.  As in
> "lshw -C disk".  Awesome.  Tells you lots of other useful things too.

Also:

$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

Those IDs are handy. I have this line in my fstab:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SAMSUNG_HD400LD_0-0:0-part1 /media/externalhdd
auto defaults,user 0 0

so my external hard drive always turns up in the same spot regardless
of whether a USB stick is plugged in. The no worries with
rsnapshot/unison going to the wrong place.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net