[clug] Feedback... (linux Digest, Vol 84, Issue 27, Message 1)

Miles Goodhew mgoodhew at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:30:56 MST 2009

Hi Steve,

> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:35:38 +1100
> From: steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>
>
> If any of you have time to help (by giving some feedback), I'd
> appreciate it.

Sorry, quite a lot of this will require dedicated research to
prove/update/cross-ref - but I assure you it's mostly if not all from
personal firsthand experience.

* CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access - reflecting the
multiplexing/modulation method used.

* Tethered data on the Hutchison/Three network:
I use my Nokia 6110N paired via Bluetooth to my netbook for tethered
Internet access. I pay $8/mo for the privilege of the "Internet"
connection (Otherwise you're in a walled garden). They have a $5/mo
plan with much higher data cost and lower included data volume. Their
roaming data charges used to be astronomical, but I think they changed
this recently to be less draconian. Nevertheless it's still more
expensive than the dedicated USB modem data rates. I used it pretty
regularly for email and casual web browsing when on Canberra-Sydney
train commuting (Yes, most of the trip is out of range, but it's good
for catching-up at the start). It's a doddle to share this connection
through an Ethernet connection or you could presumably do some Ad-hoc
Wifi sharing (yay - three different wireles modes used!). Bluetooth's
probably the most limiting leg, but not by much. Generally it's slow,
the latency's massive, but it works and it's very convenient for
email/web. Also, if you commit to a 12 or 24-month plan they double
your included data volume.

* Oils ain't oils:
Wikipedia has a "List of HSDPA networks":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HSDPA_networks (if you can trust
it). This indicates Three/Vodaphone are the slowest, with Optus and
then Telstra/NextG, but they're all in works to upgrade to higher
speeds (If not already there).

* McInternet:
When I was a Telstra customer, said customers (Any service IIRC, even
landline only) could get easy access and relatively better rates
connecting to McDonalds WiFi hotspots and have their Telstra bills
charged for it. I have paid M7 tolls sitting in the McCarpak on the
way to Queensland - very convenient. I think if you're a BigPond
customer it's even cheaper and/or easier. I don't see why they
wouldn't still be offering this service.

M0les.

--
Miles Goodhew,
Executive Computer Scientist