[clug] Ralink wifi chipsets and kernel 2.6.33

BAXTER,Adam adam.baxter at deewr.gov.au
Mon Dec 21 15:36:42 MST 2009

Good news everyone!

802.11N USB sticks based on the rt2800 series chipsets have been flooding the Canberra swap meets recently. I've seen two types. A "Tenda" brand rated at 150mbit max, and a TP-Link rated at 300mbit max. I have both and I can confirm N networks are picked up. I'll be able to test this in early January when I upgrade my network.

I'd say the PCI versions are based off these too but I haven't bought any.

"Among the many new drivers is rt2800pci for Ralink's RT2860 and RT3090 PCI Wi-Fi chips - until now, these chips could only be addressed via drivers which haven't yet reached the quality levels required by the kernel developers."

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Kernel-Log-New-stable-kernels-2-6-33-with-DRBD-and-RT2800PCI-883212.html

A stable-ish version of this driver is also in Ubuntu 9.10.

--Adam
Notice:

The information contained in this email message and any attached files may be confidential information, and may also be the subject of legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure or copying of this email is unauthorised. If you received this email in error, please notify the DEEWR Service Desk by calling (02) 6240 9999 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.