[clug] Neat Backup Solutions for desktops...

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Dec 6 06:22:52 MST 2009

Carlo Hamalainen <carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
>> Anyone care to contribute what they do?  Automatic is good.  Using
>> 'snapshots' of any sort gets bonus points :-)
>
> rdiff-backup is easy to use:
>
> $ sudo rdiff-backup /home/user /media/disk/user-rdiff-backup/
>
> I like to be able to verify the SHA1 hashes of a backup so that when I
> do have to restore from a backup, I have some confidence that I'm
> getting reasonable data:

*nod*  My biggest concern, when I evaluated it, was how fragile the backups
were: damage to a single part was detectable, it was pretty difficult to
recover from because of the length of the delta-chained images.

Has this improved in recent years, or did you reach a different conclusion on
the risk to me?  (...or some third option I have trouble imagining? ;)

        Daniel