[clug] Sun Grid Engine (was Re: Two (perhaps simple) shell questions.)

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 26 19:09:34 MDT 2009

Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Hate to drag up an old thread but while digging around I found this:
>
>    http://code.google.com/p/ppss/

[...]

> Apparently whoever wrote this (a "lowrentius") has gone all out and made
> this thing work across hosts! I have not got to testing this part yet nor do
> I see a need to given that I already have a working gridengine install.

So... dragging this to another topic, I presume that is the Sun Grid Engine.

Since I am about to roll out a test cluster to do some batch processing work,
if you (and anyone else) doesn't mind, a couple of questions:

Generally speaking, how do you find working with the Sun Grid Engine?  Our
target machines would be Debian Linux, either etch or lenny, at this point.

Does it handle data placement or transport well?  The documentation seems
light on the subject, but I have not looked /that/ long into it.

Also, it looks like it runs, kind-of, on Windows, as long as we have Interix
in place.  Since we need Windows, and to drive Microsoft Office via OLE
Automation, does that work with SGE?

Finally, do you have anything to say on the topic of SGE vs Condor for this
sort of work?

Regards,
        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.