[clug] SSH Public key auth + Encrypted home dir

Ben Coughlan ben.coughlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 06:46:01 MDT 2009

On 24/08/2009, at 9:52 PM, Sam Couter wrote:

> Ben Coughlan <ben.coughlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One further question:  I've recently started using 'screen' and I'm
>> finding it quite nifty.  How will it behave when I detach and log
>> out given that my home directory will be unmounted?  (assuming I'm
>> leaving stuff running that may or may not be using my home dir)
>
> How will you unmount the busy filesystem?

Well I've noticed that neither screen, nor the windows inside it count
as a 'session' for the purposes of deciding whether to unmount $HOME
or not.  Which means you can leave things running that may access
$HOME at some point (while not necessarily preventing it from being
unmounted).  It would be pretty easy to have some weird results when
some things are written to the encrypted $HOME while others are not.

Ben