[clug] ssh vs. firefox

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Aug 22 07:47:17 MDT 2009

Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> writes:

> I must be missing something simple but this is something I noticed some time
> ago but forgot.
>
> I am on my workstation (f9). I ssh to my main server (f11).  I launch
> firefox from ssh command line and surely it opens a window. But it is in
> fact another window of the workstation firefox (so it runs on my ws).

Yes.  Firefox reads a property from the root window of the running X session,
locates the running instance, then opens a new window with that.

[...]

> I know that firefox can remotely request a running instance to open another
> window (giving a URL) but I understood that it is communicating with the the
> executable. It seems that the communication channel actually goes through
> the Xserver. Is this the case?

Yes.

IIRC there is some random option to stop this behaviour, somewhere, but
I can't recall what.

Regards,
        Daniel

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.