[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Fri Aug 21 05:32:25 MDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 07:33:28PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> For what it is worth, a LVM and LUKS based dmcrypt stack, on software RAID1,
> has insignificant extra latency for me: performance is about the same as
> sitting directly on the RAID1, in almost all cases.

Is it still the case that DM doesn't pass barriers through, even in
simple cases, and thus preventing effective use of write caching?  On
a LUKS setup I have for backups, I have write-caching disabled despite
using ext3 -o barrier=1, because the reliability is more important
than speed.  But that was a while ago now, are recent kernels any
better?

Kev.

| Kevin Pulo                Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. |
| kev at pulo.com.au               _ll l_ng__g_e_ _r_ hi__ly p__d_ct__le. |
| http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/         God casts the die, not the dice. |
`--------------- Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. ---------------'