[clug] IPSec / L2TP as dial-in access for remote netbook

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 17:22:45 MDT 2009

So OpenVPN could result in this?

Ubuntu Roaming netbook -> Secured Tunnel through VPN modem router ->
home network -> for all due purposes netbook is 'at home'

I thought it had to be configured at the modem / router level to
function - or is OpenVPN solution suggesting

Netbook -> secured tunnel through server on remote LAN that assigns IP
address and provides remote LAN access? -> home network

I thought only a router could provide access to a network.

I acknowledge my knowledge starting point may require a little patience :-)

Whatever works I'm not fussed.

I could probably scrape together an old PC as a basic server too if I
needed to, but seems a waste not to use the VPN capable modem but if I
can't then I can't :-)