[clug] IPSec / L2TP as dial-in access for remote netbook

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 06:11:17 MDT 2009

Has anyone figured out the rocket science behind configuring a IPSec /
L2TP capable router as a 'dial-in' server (remote access - not LAN2LAN)
for a netbook or laptop (with Ubuntu)?

I hear PPTP is easy to set up - but insecure.

Basically I have a Billion 7404-VGO-M VPN capable modem with PPTP, IPSec
and L2TP, and a small netbook running Ubuntu - and not a clue how to get
VPN working.  I have searched over the Net and found instructions
resembling Ikea manuals for how to construct a kit nuclear reactor -
nothing straight forward - if this is possible.