[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 00:17:28 MDT 2009

Jack Kelly wrote:
> I made a 256mb /boot and put everything else on a crypto fs. I put a
> LVM volume on that, made a volume group containing a swap LV and a
> root LV. Hibernate works (I just tried while typing this post).
>
> I'm not sure if the guided encrypted LVM option would work.
>
> -- Jack

Excellent - so you have a functioning hibernate and suspend with an
encrypted /var /tmp /home /swap configuration?  Although you had to do
this from install using the alternate install disk?  It seems migration
is not advisable.

Guess it's about time I cleaned out my main system anyway if that's what
I need to do to enable filesystem level encryption.

What system are you using and any overhead noticeable?  Apparently even
an Atom CPU (netbook) can work quite happily with filesystem level
encryption with plenty of RAM (this netbook has 2GB) for caching.