[clug] Encrypted Filesystems and "Watermark Attack"

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Aug 18 22:17:27 MDT 2009

On 19/08/2009, at 10:51 , steve jenkin wrote:

> A while back I came across this & some other comments on inherent
> weaknesses of encrypted filesystems.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermarking_attack>

"ESSIV was designed by Clemens Fruhwirth and has been integrated into
the Linux kernel since version 2.6.10"
   -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_encryption_theory

Thus according to Wikipedia's version of history, the watermarking
attack has been addressed since 2.6.10 regardless of other disk-
specific encryption modes. Clemens appears to be responsible for http://clemens.endorphin.org/publications
, which lists ESSIV as being part of Linux 2.6.10.

My research consisted of a few seconds of quality time with Google. Do
not use this information to run nuclear power plants, yadda yadda.

Alex