[clug] GPS on Linux

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Aug 14 03:28:16 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod <ianmcleod75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Google Maps one of the repositories?  I like the idea of choice
> of maps.  If so this is an excellent idea and possibly one way to
> build an open source / low cost in car navigation system.

OSM Mapnik and Osmarender, Google maps and satellite, Yahoo, Virtual
Earth, there are a lot of sources available for Maemo Mapper. Not sure
how legal they are but they work.

Maemo Mapper doesn't do offline routing because it doesn't really have
maps, just images. It can download a route from Google if you're
connected to the net, or import a GPX file. It can speak the route
descriptions (turns).

It needs net access to download the map images. You can download maps
in an area or maps along your route in advance, otherwise it will try to
download maps as you view areas it doesn't already have maps for.

Despite these shortcomings it's quite good software, it's just not a
complete navigation system.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au