[clug] Being polite on the list - or: Geek Feminism 101

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Aug 14 00:53:42 MDT 2009

Bob Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> writes:

> Now that this topic thread has completely died off and it is safe to step
> into the waters again, I can finally pluck up courage to add this
> contribution

I am not quite sure what your were expecting to get out of this, personally.
Perhaps you can explain what sort of reaction you expected?

> from Beej's Guide to Unix IPC
> (http://beej.us/guide/bgipc/output/html/singlepage/bgipc.html):
>
> 2.3. Summary
>
> Now you know all about the mighty fork() function! It's more useful that a wet
> bag of worms in most computationally intensive situations, and you can amaze
> your friends at parties. Additionally, it can help make you more attractive to
> members of the opposite sex, unless you're male.

Anyway, for what it is worth my second reaction[1] was:

    Ah!  Proof that the key to humor is to know when to stop.
    Just three words less and it would all have been fine.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...since you are reading my first reaction in my preceding paragraph.

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.