[clug] LTO-4 drive, turn on compression? [SEC=PERSONAL]

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Aug 13 02:15:58 MDT 2009

Chris,

Hopefully you use 'buffer' to pipe the output of tar to the tape?
Or is modern tar already do this for you?

I also used a reasonably large block size. Tar defaults to a blocking
of 20 (10KB blocks i/o).

When I used tapes at home this made a huge difference as the tape
was *never* streaming without 'buffer'. You also get large IRGs
which leads to bad tape utilization (lower than spec capacity).

The LTO-4 drive can write at a good speed (120MB/s raw) so it should
not be the bottleneck most of the time.

Flat out it should fill a tape in about two hours.

Eyal

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)