[clug] dist-upgrade to Debian Lenny - flagged boot problem

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:33:23 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Um, the key problem in the Debian upgrade, in fact, is that some former PATA
> controllers (/dev/hd?) are now run through libata, which is a SCSI driver for
> them, so they change to /dev/sd?.

Bang go all my attempts to wiggle out of the problem!

The above was my understanding of the problem as flagged in the release
notes :(.

If the change from /dev/hd? to /dev/sd? does occur on my system, at
which point in the upgrade does it happen?  Would an inspection of the
entries in /dev prior to a reboot tell me anything?  Also the release
notes say that the "lilo" command needs to be rerun before the reboot
that implements the upgrade.  I would expect this command to crash if
the syntax of entries in /etc/lilo.conf" are no longer valid. Am I correct?

Below is the info on my installed PCI hardware. Does that info hold any
clues on how my OS will respond to the changes introduced with Debian Lenny?

Host bridge	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 645xx
PCI bridge	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port
ISA bridge	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO]
SMBus	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
IDE interface	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
Multimedia audio controller	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound
Controller
USB Controller	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller
USB Controller	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller
USB Controller	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
Ethernet controller	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast
Ethernet
VGA compatible controller	Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 315PRO
PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen