[clug] GPS on Linux

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Aug 12 00:55:17 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod wrote:
> Anyone had any success with GPS USB / Bluetooth devices on Linux?
> Just realised that without built in GPS on our new Netbook this will
> be essential for travel.  Presume can work ok with Google Maps or free
> open source software that can use some commercial maps or freely
> available maps.  Google Maps is preferred as it is free and uses
> quality mapping data.
Most GPS devices use the NMEA protocol, often with some common
variations.  These devices simply register as a serial device over usb
or any other protocol and the GPS programs talk plain text NMEA to
them.  If your device talks NMEA, and most do, then it will work with
basically anything.

I haven't really played with the Linux mapping programs, that hasn't
really been my area of GPS interest.  I believe Viking uses Google Maps.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/viking/index.php?title=Main_Page

David