[clug] dist-upgrade to Debian Lenny - flagged boot problem

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 22:51:53 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> writes:
>> Daniel Pittman wrote:

>>> [...]
>

> Anyway, moving to some physically independent solution to mounting is a good
> idea; recent kernels are moving more and more to asynchronous probing, which
> means that *if you have multiple physical HBAs[1] you will *NOT* have a
> predictable device detection order over boot*.

I <believe|hope> that this is the answer to my original question. I use
a desktop computer which has served me adequately for some 5 years! HBAs
and Fibre Channel loops (after checking out what they are on the
Internet!) are well and truly over my horizon.

>> While I have now located the needed details for UUID mapping, the release
>> notes - which assume that I use GRUB to boot - do not give me any guidance
>> on what needs changing in /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> Well, assuming you use the stock initrd, "root=UUID=whatever" in the kernel
> command line is all you need.

If that were the whole story, I might not have written for advice.  But
I was under the impression that the UUID mapping also needs to be
extended to all the entries in /etc/fstab.  On my setup, these are numerous!

> I hope it helped.  I had assumed you would ask further questions if the five
> words were not enough ... and I did expect they were not.  It is just the case
> that with so many different answers something comprehensive would fill out the
> release notes. ;)
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  ...and most of us do, these days, at least in laptops.  Desktops, maybe
>      not quite so much.  Typically in the form of an Intel chipset with two
>      controllers built in.

There is a great deal more info in the reply that is well beyond my
current <understanding|competence>.  But if my assumption - flagged
above - is correct, then I believe that I can safely remain in my state
of blissful ignorance.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me to make sense of the
Debian release notes.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen