[clug] Looking for a netbook

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:56:17 MDT 2009

Anthony David wrote:
> Then you need the netbook pro for $40 more
>
> http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-agora-netbook-pro/

Well it's cheaper than the similarly specc'd eeePC (no surround sound or
802.11n but I'm not sure that's a major issue).  Presume it saves money
on licensing - watch MS release 'Windows 7 Express' or something to
penetrate this emerging market.

What's interesting is the OS behind it

http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/index.html

I actually trust Microsoft more than I trust Google (yes it's true - I
think Microsoft have paid their dues in all fairness while Google
stampedes along), so I'm not entirely comfortable with the gOS concept
(I wonder if it is *all* open source though), however it seems to be
'compatible' with Ubuntu or that gOS is actually a customised Ubuntu.

Very interesting..

Experiences / thoughts anyone?  I'm now tending toward this, in fact I
want two.

I wonder how it goes with sophisticated online Flash games for kids.