[clug] LTO-4 drive, turn on compression?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Aug 11 06:59:45 MDT 2009

Chris Smart wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au>:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> You may have success with stinit - I did with my HP C1537A. It creates multiple
>> tape devices (rewinding and not) with combinations of fixed / variable blocksize
>> and compression or not.
>
> Hey Duncan,
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that. Today I played with block sizes and
> compression. LZO was very quick but only reduced 3.5GB to 3.2GB. The
> usual, bzip2, gzip and lzma all went down to 2.4 or so, but were slow
> as you'd imagine. It's still not 2:1 offered by the hardware
> compression.. I think I'll buy some more tapes and try spanning.

??? What 2:1? It does not exist, it is a made up number.

The tape drive has more limited resources than your PC so it stands to reason
that it cannot do better that your PC. And it does block compression which
limits it further.

I will join the others who recommended you do the archiving/compression
with software and use the tape for writing. I prefer file-level compression
so I use afio.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)